Researchers, teachers and academic experts – welcome to the Union!
The Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers (FUURT) is a professional organisation and trade union for researchers, teachers and other academic experts at universities and research institutions. FUURT is the right union for all university researchers and teachers regardless of their career stage.
- Within the universities, the Union is present to support and assist its members with an extensive and competent network of Union shop stewards and advisors right within the workplace, a benefit not provided by other unions.
- The Union negotiates with the Employers’ Association of Universities in Finland on the wages and other employment terms and conditions of university personnel.
- The Union is heard in the Parliament concerning any matters that are related to university or higher education and science policies.
- The Ministry of Education and Culture and the Academy of Finland request statements from the Union on key university and science policy issues.
- The Union played a significant role in ensuring that those who work on grant or scholarship funding are included within the scope of statutory pension and accident insurance.
- The Union actively lobbies, both publicly and through its interest groups, on issues such as the position of fixed-term employees, the status of early career researchers, the employment of doctorate holders, and the funding of universities and science in general.
An extensive association network in 12 cities
Through our 15 member associations, the Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers has local activities in Espoo, Helsinki, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere, Turku, Vaasa and Rovaniemi. Two of our member associations are nationwide: the Information Academics (Informaatioalan Akateemiset, INA) and the Finnish Association of Academic Researchers (Suomen akateemisten tutkijoiden yhdistys, SATY).
You can join the Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers through one of its many member associations.
You can complete an online application form below. With the same application you apply to become a member of FUURT, one of our member associations and the Teachers’ unemployment fund.
Membership officially begins, at the earliest, on the date when the written application for membership is submitted. You can also choose a date when you wish your membership to begin. Please note, however, that you cannot join retroactively. Please take notice also about our Membership fees and Membership benefits.
As a member of FUURT, you can take advantage of the versatile member services and benefits.
The Union’s membership fee is 0,95–1,1% depending on the member association in question. The membership fee includes also the Teachers’ unemployment fund, except for pensioners and students.
Updating membership details
Please inform us of any changes to your membership details, such as a changed employment relationship or contact information, so that we can maintain an up‑to‑date member register.