Researchers, teachers and academic experts – welcome to the Union!
The Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers (FUURT) is a professional organisation and trade union for researchers, teachers and other academic experts at universities and research institutions. FUURT is the right union for all university researchers and teachers regardless of their career stage.
- Within the universities, the Union is present to support and assist its members with an extensive and competent network of Union shop stewards and advisors right within the workplace, a benefit not provided by other unions.
- The Union negotiates with the Employers’ Association of Universities in Finland on the wages and other employment terms and conditions of university personnel.
- The Union is heard in the Parliament concerning any matters that are related to university or higher education and science policies.
- The Ministry of Education and Culture and the Academy of Finland request statements from the Union on key university and science policy issues.
- The Union played a significant role in ensuring that those who work on grant or scholarship funding are included within the scope of statutory pension and accident insurance.
- The Union actively lobbies, both publicly and through its interest groups, on issues such as the position of fixed-term employees, the status of early career researchers, the employment of doctorate holders, and the funding of universities and science in general.
You can join the Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers through one of its many member associations.
With the same application you apply to become a member of FUURT, one of our member associations and the Teachers’ unemployment fund. The board of the member association in question decides on its new members and notifies them in writing of the decision.
Membership officially begins, at the earliest, on the date when the written application for membership is submitted. You can also choose a date when you wish your membership to begin. Please note, however, that you cannot join retroactively. Please take notice also about our Membership fees and Membership benefits.